Friday, April 24, 2009

Foodie Friday



I am participating in Foodie Friday by Michael at Designs By Gollum. You have got to click onto her blog and just see the cake that she has made for today. It's my favorite - chocolate!!!! I got busy and made some homemade bread. This recipe makes 3 loaves, which of course you can freeze, but we're eating on one, my brother-in-law came over after the other, and I'm taking the last one to work. Here is the recipe. It's really simple, even though there are several steps:




Starter:


3/4 cup sugar


3 T. instant potatoes


1 cup warm water


1 pkg. yeast




Mix together, put in a quart jar with a paper towel over it and a rubber band. NO LID. Let set overnight. In the morning, put the starter in refrigerator for 3-5 days.




Bread:


3/4 cup sugar


3 T. instant potatoes


1 cup warm water




Take starter out of refrigerator and feed with the above ingredients. Mix them together and add to starter and let stand out of refrigerator all day. That night, take out 1 cup and return the rest to refrigerator. Keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days and feed again. If you don't make it within 3-5 days, take a cup out and either give away or throw away. This prevents it from going flat.




Now to make the bread. Mix together:




1/2 cup corn oil


1 cup starter


1/3 cup sugar


1 1/2 cups warm water


6 cups Pillsbury bread flour


1 T. salt




Put dough in an oiled bowl and let set overnight to rise. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.




In the morning, divide into 3 oiled loaf pans and cover with saran wrap. Let rise all day and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Delicious!

14 comments:

  1. OOOOO, I love homemade bread so so much. This sounds so great. Rumor has it that "man can not live by bread alone".....I think I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--you got me. I said I was never again going to do food that I had to feed!! I have done this a few times but always forget my starter. I had lost my recipes so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I bet that smelled so good baking!! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade bread is so good -- nothing like a loaf fresh from the oven and some real butter . . . who needs veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm,yummy! I'll definitely try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! Thanks so much for sharing with the rest of us. I've only shared one recipe on my SITE, but at least it was my best one. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting recipe. I will have to try this although I am famous for forgetting things especially when they are in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I will have to save this and try it one day. I love homemade bread so much.

    {{Big Hugs}}

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Foodie Friday to you, Gina!

    This is my first Foodie Friday and thank you for sharing your recipe for homemade bread , very much a Spring Fling thing!

    I would love to know what MAC makeup is?

    The Raggedy Girl--Roberta Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to make bread. I've tried feeding the sourdough starter every day...whew...that's like having a pet!!!! I moved on to a recipe for rustic italian bread with a sponge, (made 1/2 hour in advance) much easier and the bread is fabulous. Your bread loaves are beautiful and what is better than warm bread out of the oven with a dab of butter. Yum!

    I love the snap of you with your sister and mom. Very sweet!

    Nola @ The Bloom Girls
    Nashville

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to play with flour but have not done the STARTER in a long time. I forgot how easy it is. Thanks.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOW that looks delicious! I MAY try it but I won't promise. I am spoiled by being able to get bread from our bakery. Still..I will copy it as you never know when I will get ambitious! How delicious it looks! You are such a GOOD homemaker! Sigh....(hanging head here)...I USED to be. No, really, I DID used to be. The children grew up and I got (just a wee overweight)lazy. You look at that picture and you can almost smell the goodness! GREAT "Foodie Friday" post!! (And she's also beautiful folks! A WINNING combination for sure!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum...there is nothing better than homemade bread!!! Yours looks sooooo good...sitting in the oven begging someone to come get a slice;)!!!

    I am definitely trying this one!!! I hope you are having a great day!!!

    God bless!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I SOOO wish I could smell thru the computer...it looks delicious! I am gonna try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete